Crows Nest's 22-storey apartment block approved despite council objections

The development proposal was halted by North Sydney Council in December, calling for a reduction in the building's height.

Plans for a 22-storey, 188 apartment building in Crows Nest’s busy “Five Ways” Pacific Highway site have been given the green light.

The Independent Planning Commission (IPC) gave the go-ahead to developer Deicorp on Wednesday, clearing the way for a construction project that was initially halted by North Sydney Council in December 2024.

Late last year, local council objected to the site, with claims both the scale of the project and its long term viability as an affordable housing option did not add up. North Sydney Mayor Zoë Baker told the Sydney Morning Herald the construction would raise building heights “above and beyond” the levels allowed.

North Sydney Council’s submission rejecting the project in December argued it exceeded height limits set up by the government’s Transport-Oriented Development plan, while also claiming it had exceeded the Council’s maximum limit for residential space.

The project, known as Falcon & Alexander, was first lodged in April 2024. After an initial delay from local council approval, the IPC accepted submissions of concern and support from the community as it worked to determine the appropriateness of the build. It received 20 submissions, including nine objects and 11 in support, before announcing its decision to approve the project.

Just a short walk away from the new Crows Nest Metro Station, the Five Ways project will no doubt change the look of one of the suburb’s most high-traffic locations. A new retail and commercial precinct is also part of the plans.

Deicorp founder, Fouad Deiri, told Urban.com.au the company had been working for five years to achieve approval on the site. 

“The time it has taken to secure approval for this project highlights the difficulties the development industry faces in trying to build homes in Sydney,” said Deiri. 

“A community survey we undertook as part of the consultation process demonstrated a majority of residents in the area were either in favour of the project or neutral towards it.”